Friday, January 11, 2008

The Garborator

Travis' ability to suck back granola and granola bars just might be the death of me. I know he rides a lot but OMG! My motivation to keep up is going to wear off at some point.

This is what I've learned about granola to date: when a recipe says "until it's toasty" don't take it literally. The granola doesn't become toasty until after it cools down. So, when it looks brown-ish, it's probably already burned. Also, grade A maple syrup doesn't have much maple flavour when cooked. Go with a lower grade if you want it to taste maple-y. Other than that, granola is forgiving and you'll never want to eat store bought again!

I've made two batches of granola bars. The first one didn't hold together, yet it wasn't crumbly, so I smashed it up and cooked it into granola. The second one is below.

It's oats, raisins, coconut, wheat germ, flax seed, natural peanut butter, agave nectar, vanilla, almonds, and homemade apple sauce. That's it. Smush it up, pack it in a pan, bake at 350 for 25 minutes and call it good. I haven't actually tasted them but The Garborator gave 2 thumbs up.

And in knitting news...


We went to the coast a couple weekends ago and stopped for lunch in Half Moon Bay, where Fengari happens to be (don't judge them by their website). I think they have every colourway of Manos and Malabrigo. I bought Malabrigo in Rhodesian to make fingerless mitts with mitten covers but they're too big!! Now I have to rip, which means I'll have no motivation to start over unlike Hillary, who has perservered through "The Sweater".

No comments: