Thursday, March 13, 2008

A Foray into Fair Isle

I finally took the leap into knitting with two colours. Now I remember why I had been so hesitant to try. It sucks! Seriously. It was so unfun. Perhaps it would have been easier to try with a dk or worsted weight yarn? Perhaps I'm just a total gimp when it comes to doing anything with my left hand? Or maybe it's just a sucky way to knit ;)

My attempt was with the Endpaper Mitts. I'm sure it will get easier with time but I'm definitely not catching on too fast. It's awkward and really hard to achieve an even tension. I had to keep stopping and taking an extra needle to dig out my stitches because they were completely hidden by other stitches. Apparently I knit tight tight tight in continental and looosey goosey in American.

I realize that I just need to practice. Despite all I've said, I do like how it's coming along. I have, however, decided to rip it and start over with two solids for more contrast.

The solid yarn is Louet Gems Merino fingering weight in "champagne." The varigated is leftover Koigu from this Chevron Scarf.

No comments: