Friday, June 27, 2008

Deja Vu? Almost

Everything was going along so well. I planned the look, the maximum size I would be happy with, the size of the slots, and the closure. Then I took off. Only had to cut once - ya! Realized that a flap would be better than a strap and solved the problem before it was to late - ya! Interface-free pockets are the perfect stiffness - ya!
Here comes the math. I started to put my needles in and realized that I counted wrong. By 5 circulars! 1, ya ok, it happens, but 5? Luckily I had room to double up a couple smaller ones and, really, when don't I have multiple projects sitting on needles?
Then I closed it. I forgot to put the snaps on! There's no way that I'm picking all those stitches. In this picture I'm using double sided tape to hold the flap shut. It works but it's probably not a permanent solution :)
I need an idea to close the flap that doesn't involve machine sewing, since I can only go through one layer on the body. It also needs to involve three spots (top, middle, bottom) to close the flap properly.

So far I've only come up with 3 options. 1) Three small black frog closures. I can sew them on by hand and they'll probably match. But, with shipping, they aren't cheap. 2) Green fabric loops on the flap side and buttons on the body side. Con: I would have to sew the green loops to the outside of the flap rather than enclosing them in a seam. It could look really sloppy. 3) Three Velcro circles. Ugly but it would do the trick and require the least amount of work.
I wish I had the ability to consider it a mistake, stick an elastic around the center and be done with it.

No comments: