Tuesday, February 5, 2008

I'm so sorry your pet died. You owe us $1000, now.

Today was long. I got up with Travis at 6am to say goodbye before he went to work. Then I got to work on the assignment I had been puting off that was due at 3pm today. I told the maid to come back three times and finally got on the road around 11am or so.


At some point I decided that I would prefer to make it back to the Bay Area so that I would be passing by school in time for my 7:15pm class instead of going home for a little while then turning around and driving back. This meant killing some time. I hung out in Pismo Beach for a while. It's like a cross between Santa Cruz and Cannon Beach Oregon - it's bordering on cute but has a rough, somewhat rundown feel to it. I was also pretty much the only person there, besides the disabled Veteran with that undeniable sign of beachtown homelessness - a cherry red nose and cheeks with a hint of bloodshot eyes from all the sun.


After Pismo, I swung through SLO, sat in construction traffic in Paso Robles and killed time at the Gilroy Outlets. I still arrived at school an hour early. After a long class consulting with Planners from the City of San Jose, I made it home just after 11pm.

I see why single people are always out doing stuff - it's so lonely and empty coming home to nothing. It really doesn't feel like home without Kitty. She was the reason I needed to get home by a certain time or stay home at night because she couldn't handle being alone. So it just feels wrong to be here.

The Vet must agree because she left a little something in my mailbox to rub in the fact that my cat is dead - my final bill. Just shy of $1000.00 for one, yes ONE night of care. 22 Hours to be exact. The top is stamped "Your Payment is Past Due". Ok, first of all, after we put her down, we went to pay our bill but were told they would "bill" us. Second, this is the first bill I've received, so how is it possible that it's past due? I know that it's just a formality and it isn't really past due but you'd think they would have a little more tact - especially when they are getting $1000 for one night's work.

I'm in the wrong field.

No comments: